How can I dissolve a company?


I would like to dissolve a limited by shares company in England. We’ve been in business for four years, but a new opportunity has come along and I would be a fool not to take it. So, can someone please advise how I would go about dissolving a limited company? Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate the help.



To dissolve your limited company and have it struck off the register, you will have complete form DS01 (Striking off application by a company) for Companies House. You may only apply for voluntary striking off if all, or a majority of, the company directors are in agreement and sign the application form.

Once completed, you should send this form and the £10 filing fee to the registrar with whom your company is incorporated - Companies House Cardiff (England and Wales), Companies House Edinburgh (Scotland), or Companies House Belfast (N. Ireland).

Within seven days of submitting form DS01, you should inform all parties who are involved in the company or have an interest in the business, including shareholders, creditors and HMRC. Companies House will register your striking off application on public record. Your company will be struck off within 3 months if no objections are raised.

You will not be permitted to apply for voluntary striking off if, at any time in the last three months, your company has:

  • Traded or otherwise carried on business
  • Changed its name
  • Engaged in any other activity, except one which is necessary for the purpose of:
    • making an application for strike off or deciding whether to do so
    • concluding the affairs of the company
    • complying with statutory requirements
  • Make a disposal for value of property rights that, immediately before ceasing the trade or otherwise carry on business, it held for the purpose of disposal for gain in the normal course of trading or otherwise carrying on business.

You also cannot apply to strike off your company if it is currently the subject, or proposed subject, of any insolvency proceedings or a section 895 scheme (a compromise or arrangement between the company and its creditors or members).

2 years ago

Your answer