Can I register a non-trading company?


Hi, I have a question about non-trading companies. I would like to set up a company that will not trade to start with. Is it possible to do such a thing? Thanks, Zak



You can set up a non-trading company by incorporating a limited company at Companies House and then notifying HMRC that it is non-trading. To maintain a non-trading status, you must not carry on any kind of business that will make your company active for Corporation Tax purposes - i.e. buying and selling goods or services.

You can start trading through your company whenever you are ready to do so - you simply have to tell HMRC that it is active by registering for Corporation Tax within 3 months of trading.

2 years ago

Your answer


Browse other questions tagged #non-trading-company or Ask a new question