Can a non-UK resident operate as a sole trader in the UK?


I am a Chinese citizen and I am not resident in the United Kingdom. I would like to work as a consultant for UK companies. I presume this would mean that I qualify as a sole trader. Is that permittable, despite the fact that I am not resident in the UK? Thank you for your answers.



Unfortunately, you cannot be a sole trader in the UK unless you are a UK resident with a National Insurance Number. However, you can register a UK limited company instead. This will enable you to provide consultancy services to other businesses in the UK and beyond.

2 years ago

Your answer


Browse other questions tagged #non-resident #sole-trader or Ask a new question