I am a sole trader, how do I register for self-assessment?


Hi, I am doing business as a sole trader, and I have been advised that I must register for self-assessment. How do I go about it? Could somebody please help?



You can register for Self-Assessment online by visiting the HMRC website. It will take around 5 minutes and you will be asked to provide the following info:

  • Date you started working for yourself
  • National Insurance number
  • Date of birth
  • Title and full name
  • Residential address
  • Contact email address and phone number
  • Business name
  • Business activities
  • Business contact address
  • Business email address and telephone phone number and email address

Within approximately 10 days, you should receive a letter from HMRC. It will contain an activation code that will enable you to log in to your online account and submit Self-Assessment tax returns.

The deadline for registering for Self-Assessment is October 5th in your second year of trading. The tax year starts on April 6th and ends on April 5th the following year.


  • You start trading on 1st November 2015 - your first tax year will end on 5th April 2016, so you must register for Self-Assessment by 5th October 2016. Your tax return and tax payments will then be due by 31st January 2017.

There’s plenty of time but it’s better to get it out of the way asap, otherwise you’re more likely to forget and end up with a fine.

2 years ago

Your answer


Browse other questions tagged #self-assessment #sole-trader or Ask a new question