Is a UTR different from a TIN number?


Hi, I’m trying to get paperwork together and I need my UTR. I’m struggling to find it, but I’ve spotted my TIN number. Are these two numbers the same, or are they different? Cheers



A Tax Identification Number (TIN) is not the official term typically used in the UK. Instead, we have Unique Taxpayer References and National Insurance Numbers as a means of identifying individual people for personal tax purposes. It is most probable that the TIN you have found is your UTR but you should phone HMRC for confirmation.

a year ago


6 months ago

Your answer


Browse other questions tagged #utr #companies-house or Ask a new question