Can I use my limited company's UTR as a sole trader?


I am the director of a private limited company, but I also work as a sole trader in a freelance capacity. Can I use my company’s UTR for sole trader work? Not a big deal, either way, just curious to see if I could get away with it!



Your company UTR is not the same as the personal UTR you receive as an individual when you register for Self-Assessment.

A company UTR can only be used by a company for business taxes like Corporation Tax, VAT and PAYE.

A personal UTR can only be used by the individual person it was issued to (i.e. you) for the purpose of paying Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions through self-employment.

a year ago

Your answer