Do l have to register for VAT if I have already got a UTR?


Morning, my name is Ewan, and I am an IT worker in Cardiff. I have set up a limited company, and have been issued a UTR. Having already got my UTR, do I need to bother registering for VAT? Thanks



Hi Ewan,

Regardless of whether you have received your UTR, you must still register your company for Corporation Tax, VAT and any other relevant business taxes. Your UTR is simply used as a means of identifying your new company for Corporation Tax purposes - the receipt of a UTR does not mean that your company has been registered for any specific taxes or HMRC services.

You can register your new business for various taxes online.

a year ago

Your answer