Is it possible to file documents with Companies House in other languages?



My wife is a non-UK resident who is going to set up a limited company. Her English is not fantastic, and so she would much prefer to fill out her Companies House forms in her native Ukrainian. Is this possible?

Thank you




Thanks for the question. You can file the following Companies House forms in languages other than English, but you must include a certified translation into English:

  • Resolutions and agreements affecting a company’s constitution delivered under Chapter 3 of Part 3 of the Companies Act 2006. (companies only; not LLPs)
  • Accounts of larger EEA groups, the group accounts and parent undertaking’s annual report.
  • Accounts of larger non-EEA groups, the group accounts and, where appropriate, the consolidated annual report.
  • A charge instrument, or copy charge instrument.
  • Valuation report required to be delivered to the registrar under section 94(2)(d) of the Companies Act.
  • Articles and memorandum of association.
  • Court orders.

You can also deliver voluntary certified translations of the following documents which are subject to the First Company Law Directive disclosure requirements:

  • Memorandum and articles of association.
  • Director’s appointments and terminations
  • Changes in a director’s particulars.
  • Change of registered office
  • Annual accounts and annual returns.
  • Winding up documents.
  • Share capital documents (PLCs only)
  • Documents relating to mergers and divisions (PLCs only).
  • Documents relating to overseas companies.

Companies are only permitted to file voluntary translations in an official language of the European Union. It must be accompanied by Form VT01 to link the translation to the original document. If you require any assistance regarding the filing of company documents, you can call Companies House on 0303-1234-500.

There are different rules for Welsh companies and LLPs with a registered office situated in Wales (not ‘England and Wales’). They are permitted to communicate with Companies House in Welsh and file documents without an accompanying translation into English. To find out more about the Welsh Service, please click here.

a year ago

Your answer